Community Baptist Church
Community Baptist Church was organized in 1947 for the purpose of bringing glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and has been on the South Side of South Bend, IN ministering the gospel of Jesus Christ and training people to labor in his kingdom.
The Community Baptist Church of South Bend, Indiana began in the summer of 1947 with a small group of believers composed primarily of several individuals and families having left the United Brethren Church, which is the Southlawn United Methodist Church today. At an opening meeting on July 25, with 25 present, it was decided to fellowship around the Word of God. There were several meetings held during those early days to work through differences, to agree on a name, to organize a constitution, to decide on a location and to call a Pastor. This group was aided in their organization by two preachers, one Rev. K.F. Dodson, Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Mishawaka and Mr. R.W. Coles, a lay preacher.
The church was formally organized in the fall of 1947 and the first official service was held on September 7, with 55 in attendance at Sunday school and 46 present for church. At the first official business meeting , October 9, the church body approved the constitution and voted to call a part time pastor, Mr. M. L. Allman, a student at Goshen College. Thirty-nine charter members gladly joined together “in one accord in one place.”
In 1951, the church relocated to Kern Road and again relocated to Miami Road in 1968. The Church launched a new ministry, the Community Baptist Christian School, in 1976.
Over the almost 68 year history of Community Baptist Church, God has blessed in giving the church godly leadership over these years. Community has had six pastors:
Rev. Marshall L. Allman, October 1947-September 1952
Rev. Frank Collins, October 1952-June 1956
Rev. Ralph O. Burns, October 1956-November 1962
Dr. Vaughn E. Sprunger, March 1963-December 1993
Dr. Bud Steadman, January 1995-February 2009
Dr. David Pennington, April 2010 - August 2014
Rev. Joseph Fant, December 2017 - Present
We have grown over the years and even changed locations a few times, but God is still at work here just as he has been throughout our history. We are thrilled for the future of Community and eager to see what God has in store for us.
Community Baptist Christian School and Preschool
Community Baptist Christian School opened its doors in August 1976 with four teachers and 68 students. At the time, it was our desire to have a school that would reinforce the values of Christianity and patriotism the children were learning in their homes and churches. Through the years, our goal has remained the same: to work together with parents and pastors to rear godly young people.
Following the first year, enrollment quickly grew. A new grade was added each successive year, as was planned, until the school offered a complete program through the 12th grade. The first seniors graduated in 1982.
In 2002, Community Baptist Church undertook a major building campaign that included the addition of a new church auditorium, several classrooms for the school, a nursery/preschool wing, and a teacher's lounge. The new building tied together the existing two buildings for the beautiful layout that we have today.
In 2010 CBCS expanded the preschool program from a half day to full day option.
CBCS has always been a ministry of Community Baptist Church. It joined The American Association of Christian Schools (AACS) in November of 1977 and is also a member of the Indiana Association of Christian Schools (IACS). Community Baptist teachers are certified by the AACS, and in February 2013 CBCS gained accreditation from the AACS. In 2018 this accreditation was enthusiastically re-confirmed by AACS.